Yes, yes, I know.
There is one particular subject that I’ve been avoiding like the plague, here on this blog. It seems like I’ve gone in all different directions all at once with my writing, except for this one – me !
I was just looking back at the posts I’ve written up until now, and lately I haven’t said a word about myself, really. Why is that ?
When I started off on this blog, I definitely did not have anything particular in mind – and still don’t, actually (can you tell ? :)). But I did figure that I would be writing quite extensively on my search for a new job, since that would be my main activity for the foreseeable future.
Well as it turns out, I’m still looking for a job, and actively so. But the thing is, I really don’t find much of interest to write about concerning this particular subject. I could detail every new application I send out, put down in writing my thoughts on each interview that I take, maybe. But where’s the fun in that ?
So let me simply paint the big picture, starting with a few hard facts :
- I haven’t worked since June 30th – now in my fifth month of idleness.
- I haven’t gotten one cent of income since. To think that for over 6 years I dutifully contributed to the state’s unemployment coverage plan… and now that it could actually come in handy for me, well – tough beans. Nada, no enchilada.
- I keep a colour-coded Excel spreadsheet as a reference to keep track of all my leads, listing application dates, replies, follow-ups, interviews, contact names and numbers, all of it.
- Over the last two years, I’ve worked (a “real” job at least, meaning one I actually put on my CV) a total of less than 3 months.
- France’s unemployment rate just hit a record high in September, and keeps steadily moving up.
- Europe remains mired in economic crisis.
Maybe I should start worrying…
But you know what ? I’m not. I am definitely getting restless, and frustrated at not doing much with my days, but I’m a hopeless optimist. So I keep thinking it’s just a matter of time.
After all, I am getting called for interviews, quite a few companies have expressed an interest in my “profile”, as they say. They just don’t currently have any projects where they could use me.
So I wait, I tweak, I ponder… and I blog – about everything that crosses my mind, including this said job hunt. I’ll keep you posted !